Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
Jeanine and I just watched this, right now, and i have some things to say:
1) Man, that world is basically run on candy, isn’t it?
2) Willy Wonka is probably a great chocolatier, but it can’t be that hard to be the most successful candymaker in the world when your leading competitor’s name is SLUGWORTH.
3) Speaking of: no one names characters in children’s books like Roald Dahl.
4) Here’s what my problem was with Johnny Depp’s Willy Wonka. It was a difference, I think, between Depp’s “childish” and Wilder’s “child-like.” While Wilder was weird and creepy and eccentric, he really seemed like an adult that had a child-like sense of wonder; in comparison to Depp, who seemed like a character whose development was somehow arrested in childhood. It is the difference between Depp’s Wonka, who is a kid that has resources, and Wilder’s Wonka, who is a mad candy scientist. It is also the difference between a guy that’s weird (Wilder) and a guy that might try and molest your children (Depp).
5) Man, they just don’t make movies like they did in the fucking 70s, did they?