Hey, here’s a crazy idea:

Posted: July 22, 2009 in Braak
Tags: ,

Dear Syfy:

You know how you have the rights to all those old SF TV shows like  Twilight Zone and Automan?  Why don’t you just set up a thing like Hulu, except you charge $3 a month and let me watch any of those shows whenever I want?  You could even set it up so that I could build my own TV station–two episodes of Star Trek, two episodes of Buck Rogers, whatever.

I mean, I know that I could probably find that stuff for free, if I were so inclined.  But security is really about convenience–it’s easier for me to pay $3 a month to watch the TV shows than it is for me to find shitty resolution copies on YouTube.  As long as you charge less than the work it takes for me to find it somewhere else, I’ll pay for it.  I mean, that’s basically the reason that anyone pays for anything, right?  You could put an ad on the shows, too, maybe make a little extra money out of it.  Call it SyFy:  Vyntage, or something.

I’m just kind of frustrated by this idea that I have to pay for all of cable if I only want to watch six television shows.

Comments

Had a hankering for “Automan,” eh? Is that before or after your “M.A.N.T.I.S.” marathon?

I’ve just never seen more than a handful of episodes at a time. I never felt like I got a really good feel for the arc of the character, you know?

3. Erin says:

Well, some of that is online, in good quality, and free of charge, thanks to our network overlords.

Here’s your Trek:

And here’s Twilight Zone:

Yeah, Erin, that kind of misses the point.

5. Erin says:

If you’re just trying to get rid of $3, feel free to send it to me.

The problem with that is that I hate you, and am therefore fundamentally opposed to any activity whereby you may obtain even a marginal profit.