Hand of Danger!

Posted: August 25, 2009 in Braak, comic books, Jeff Holland
Tags: , , ,

Hand of Danger page 10 previewHoly cow, this is moving along, huh?  Who knew we had so many pages!?!?!?

********************************************************************

First Page | Previous Page | Next Page

Hand of Danger page 10

Comments
  1. Tad says:

I knew there were a lot of pages, mostly because I peek at the sketches when Holland isn’t looking. I’m going to start my own Hand of Danger spoilers blog.

2. Hsiang says:

Hey, pretty neat! Tastes like some Ditko or Eisner “psychoscapes”. Also reminds of Sun Wukong and the Buddha and the Five Pillars at the Edge of the Universe, but with less peeing. Then again, all this wushu and Eastern philosophy with a trickster type dude is bound to make me think a bit of Monkey and the Journey to the West.

This is all Holland, by the way. My suggestion about layout was something to the effect of, “I don’t know. I was thinking like some freaky thing where all the panels were hands, or something. Or maybe the page was one big hand. Whatever.”

Ignoring the huge gap in quality between me and those artists, yes. Ditko and particularly Eisner (since I finally got around to buying A “Spirit” collection not long before getting to work on this page) definitely gave me the push to try something a little different. There is also a hint of McCloud’s cartoon tour-guide from “Understanding Comics.”

And good god, I could get lost staring at a JH Williams page pretty much all day.

5. Hsiang says:

Considering your level of draftsmanship, this came out well, Holland. I’d do layouts like this very sparingly. Hone your craft with the ol’ 9-panel grid.

I really love the shape of the fist in the far, left-hand corner. And I agree with Hsiang: This layout is perfect for the “moment” they’re having. It’ll add a punch to the storyline to integrate these sort of pages into a traditional panel layout. So, is this “moment-of-Zen” just a battle ploy used by our hero?

Tad – You don’t say…perhaps we can come to…an arrangement…involving “Thundercats” trading cards, imported Scandanavian candy and lots and lots of…coupons