Oh, Man, Do I Not Have Anything Today

Posted: November 18, 2009 in Threat Quality
Tags:

I was going to relate the hilariously involved story of why I still don’t have cable internet at the house after TWO MONTHS.  But the Comcast people seem like they’re trying, at least, and it’s always hard for me to be angry at people who are being friendly.  So, I’m giving them the benefit of the doubt, and leaving off what would be, no doubt, an epic rant.

In the meantime, assorted news bits:

Threat Quality Press will be exhibiting at PhilCon 2009 this year, which is this weekend.  We’ll mostly be selling The Translated Man, as certain technical problems have prevented us from getting Burn Down Bloody Twilight out to print in time.  Bad luck, but whatever, it happens.

TQP’s favorite fantasy magazine, Black Gate, is going to be publishing its Fall issue featuring ME, Braak!, by the end of the month.  I think.  That’s what they tell me, anyway.  If you want to talk about an industry that has a surplus of good work, check this out:  those guys bought my short story more than four years ago.  I submitted it to them in 2003.  It’s not like they’re lazy, or anything–the print at least two volumes every year, and it’s chock full of stuff because there is a LOT of work available to be printed.

We haven’t gotten as many submissions as I would have liked–we’ve still got one that we’re reviewing right now, and certainly friends of TQP have sent in a couple.  I am undaunted, however.  Hoping that our presence at PhilCon might score us a few more pieces, and I’m still trying to talk assorted friends into signing on to the TQP imprint, we’ll see how that goes.  I get the feeling I’d be much more aggressive and serious about marketing and selling the books–certainly more effusive in my descriptions–if it was more than just mine up there.  We are also looking, in the long-term, to collect some of the critical essays and short stories into one or two separate “Best of Threat Quality” books.  Definitely, these would be released with additional material not available on the website, because we’re cool like that.

Finally, I have been following a couple of literary agents on Twitter, just to see what kind of things they talk about.  Can’t say I’m sold on the whole concept of “literary agent.”  I like that one could, in theory, make money for me, but it definitely seems like they’re committed to a slowly-collapsing paradigm.  We’ll see, I guess.

Comments

An update on the book:

A geek-squad-approved friend of mine is looking at my old laptop, and from his description, I believe I can say without hyperbole that it has Teh Computey Deth-Plague. So as much as it pains me to say everyone will have to wait a little while longer to read the glory that is Burn Down Bloody Twilight, it pains me even more to consider the possibility that he will not be able to rescue my files from Teh Computey Deth-Plague, and I will possibly lose years of work.

(What’s really troubling me is these problems all started shortly after I paid for Morton antivirus protection, including web backup – which has mysteriously vanished and Morton has no record of my account.)

Which leads to my Public Service Announcement: BACK UP YOUR FILES, on discs, as soon as you’ve finished reading this sentence. Riiiiiight….NOW.

Also: Everyone in the area, go to Philcon! http://2009.philcon.org/

There will be dealers, and publishers, and not a creepy hasbeen celebrity from a long-over syndicated fantasy series in sight!

Don’t bust on creepy, has-been celebs! I have a soft spot in my heart for the Norma Desmonds of the world.

(Rock the Con, gentleman!)

Personally, I cannot wait to pay for a T-shirt, but then have to wait for the dealer to screen-print one in my size, then mail it to the wrong address twice, then give me a complimentary extra T-shirt for my trouble, only to have it be the stupidest design they have.

I assume this happens at all conventions.

(Jeff – Have you tried adding a partition on your laptop? You could restore certain programs and attempt to send files to the new partition by email, then open those that couldn’t be opened on the original one. Once you’ve transferred all data to the new partition, you could eliminate the original.)

Unfortunately, that would all require the laptop to move on past the opening Windows screen, which is is currently incapable of doing. Geek-Squad friend used the term “Corrupted OS,” so I feel like we’re past the point of no return on this one.

6. K. Liebert says:

Do you have a police friend? They could send it to their computer dept and pull everything off of it.

What? It doesn’t work that way in real life?

Seriously that blows. I had a friend lose everything he had ever written from 2000-now a couple of weeks ago.

Do you have one of the original recovery discs? It might allow you the option of creating a new partition–giving you a little space to recover corrupted files–instead of having to wipe the slate clean.

8. Tad says:

Is there really a “morton” anti-virus or did you just mis-type “norton” anti-virus? Maybe you thought you were at “norton” and you really just sent some guy “morton” some money to steal your laptop files…

Tad is a BRAT

AW, MAN! That son of a bitch Morton!

Yes, Morton was the evil twin. After salt leveled-off in sales (how much table salt can you use, really?), he turned with jealously on his newly successful brother Norton, who’d built a modest empire from defending web surfers against evil.

(I didn’t want to be the first to point-out your lack of historical knowledge, Holland…)

12. Ich weiss, etwas OT, aber kennt jemand einen guten und günstigen T-Shirt Druck Anbieter? Bin echt für alle Antworten dankbar!Vielen Dank für den interessanten Eintrag. Bin echt froh, dass ich das Blog gefunden habe? Oder heißt das der Blog?