Sorry, sorry

Posted: June 8, 2010 in Braak
Tags:

This is me being a bad web editor; I’ve actually had a bunch of stuff to do, and it’s distracted me from my obligations.  Holland’s been, mercifully, picking up some of my horrible slack, but that doesn’t change me being terrible.

I’m trying to work out a theory about time-lag in terms of cultural tropes; I’m wondering if, by virtue of certain fixed lengths of time, it’s actually quantifiable how far behind popular opinion you can end up.  I’m going to use zombies for this theory, because:  hey, man.  WHO DOESN’T LOVE ZOMBIES?

Comments

Unfortunately, zombies are on their way out – it’s all about COWBOYS now!

Sorry, I just watched the finale of “Justified,” and I’ve been catching up on a lot of spaghetti westerns lately, and…goddamn, I love cowboys.

Zombie cowboy stories…I’m sure Joe Lansdale’s done something along these lines, and there was a really cool graphic novella, “Dead West” by the guys who did The Couriers…has this well already been tapped?

(Ugh, I just had a dirty feeling using that turn of phrase.)

The fact that zombies are on their way out is part of what’s interesting to me. The Pride and Pejudice and Zombies movie will be out in theaters basically exactly when no one gives a rat’s ass about zombies anymore. I’m wondering if this is a predictable phenomenon.

And that’s JUST when the monster-western mash-up “The Bride of Frankenstein Comes to Yellow Sky” will become the pop-lit hit of 2011, mark my words!

(I KNEW reading that short story would come in handy for a stupid joke someday.)

And hey! Here’s the original: http://etext.lib.virginia.edu/toc/modeng/public/CraBrid.html

Everybody read it, it’s actually a really great short story.

Is Stephen Crane in the public domain yet?

Should be. He died in 1900.

MOOO HOOO HOO HA HAAAAAAAAAA