Theater vs. Nazis: The Producers

Posted: July 13, 2010 in Braak, poetics, theater
Tags: , , , , ,

TQP LOGO readyTwo today, because Holland tricked me by posting yesterday.  I have a hard time knowing what day it is, and it’s not helpful when Holland CHANGES THE SCHEDULE WITHOUT WARNING.  Sweet zombie Jesus, is it Wednesday?  Tuesday?  I don’t god-damn know.

Anyway, here’s a thing I wrote about The Producers, over at my new theater-project blog.  It counts as a TQP post, too, I have decided.

I saw a local theater’s production of Mel Brooks’ musical The Producersa few weeks ago.  Entirely by coincidence, I happened to be there during the talk-back session.  Now, I’ve participated in talk-back sessions before, so I should have known better than to ask serious questions; most of the time, a talk-back is just another opportunity for the actors to blush beneath the gushing weight of the audience’s praise.  It’s not unreasonable; when are you going to see most of these people again?  If you want them to say something nice about you, you need to seize the opportunity.

Comments
  1. dagocutey says:

You’re so right re: talk-backs! I thought it was just my actorphobia souring the experience — leaving me feeling vaguely dissappointed and annoyed. Once again you shatter my stereotype, well done. So what did you ask?

2. dagocutey says:

After linking over and reading your commentary, I come to this conclusion: you’re a chain-yanking, chops-busting instigator is what you are, and don’t you ever change.
    Re: the play, to me it seems maybe Mel was providing an opportunity for catharsis for the people of that generation. Humor is so powerful, and that’s what those folks needed. But I do agree that many people today might not be grasping the extent of the horror of that time, thus making their laughter seem displaced and premature. Gotta get a chance to read your bit on Horror/Humor.

Well, and importantly: whether we’re grasping the horror or not, do the people of this generation need catharsis on the subject?

The schedule:
    Monday, 9 AM: Check to see if Braak has posted anything.
    Monday, 12 PM: Check again.
    Monday, 1PM: Assume no post is going up, throw something together so there’s a Monday post.

Tuesday:
    9AM: Resume my regular schedule.

In other words, tomorrow is Wednesday and you should put up a new post.

Fine.

6. dagocutey says:

You know the feeling you get when you’re with friends who are in a relationship, and they get into a spat in front of you and you just want to make a joke or something to ease the tension but you can’t think of anything? And one of them is clearly being a prick, but he’s normally such a sweet guy and you just want them to kiss and make up? I’m there.

@braak: No, this generation doesn’t need a catharsis re: Nazi’s. Everyone should be required to watch “Au Revoir, Les Enfants” at some point during high school.

In actual conversation, our entire dynamic is based on overexcited shouting, handwaving and professional-level sarcasm, but apparently that comes off looking like murderous passive-aggression in a comments section.

Don’t worry, dagocutey, this is just how we communicate.

8. dagocutey says:

Shwew! I am SO relieved — yours is a crazy love. Although I’d love to see some of that “overexcited shouting, handwaving” thing . . .

If we ever bother with our occasionally discussed TQP-TV idea – in which we yell at each other while talking about Hawkman (and straight up, none of that was a joke), then you will see all the shouting and pointing and air-throat-clutching the internet can handle.

Which is to say, you will never see any of that.

10. dagocutey says: