Serious Question About the Multi-Colored Lanterns

Posted: October 29, 2010 in Threat Quality

Hey…I’m just kind of noticing this but…but if the different colors are supposed to represent the “spectrum of emotions”, is it weird that there isn’t a “happiness”?  Or “sadness”?  Or any of the other things that are generally considered to be “emotions”?

Comments
  1. Erin says:

You could probably claim that love and sadness aren’t “primary” emotions; that they’re somehow created by crossing and combining what’s there.

But that’s obviously not what’s going on here. Who wants to see a cosmic soldier wielding a lantern powered by happiness? Who’d read a comic about an emo-lantern?

I don’t know, but it’s not like I’m reading them now.

Also, there is a “love”. It’s purple, because purple is a chick color, and “love” is totally a chick feeling

4. dagocutey says:

@Erin: Whoa — sadness isn’t a primary emotion? Do they breath oxygen on your planet?

@braak: Either you’re being completely sarcastic, or oh shit, you’re still not sleeping much are you? I don’t even recognize who wrote that last post. “Totally a chick feeling” ? What?! Wha’??? ???????

I . . . words . . . ugh.

Dear boy, what has happened? There isn’t even any punctuation at the end of your last sentence. This just isn’t you, not you at all man!

@Carl, Holland, Moff, braak’s parents, et.al.: One word: INTERVENTION.

What, really? Of COURSE I’m being sarcastic.

Yeesh, seriously.

6. Erin says:

Braak: To be fair, love was kind of set in stone because Star Sapphire has been dressing in purple since the 60’s (okay, she’s actually been dressing in pink, but that doesn’t fit in the spectrum).

Dagocutey: Which planet – the one I’m from or the one I’m on? Never mind – that’s irrelevant. If I must…

In Green Lantern, it’s been established that the 7 lantern colors make up the spectrum of emotion. Ergo, spectrum of light = spectrum of emotion.

Sadness tends to be more complex an emotion than, say fear. So, given that we’re already using a color spectrum metaphor, it makes sense that sadness would be a combination of other emotions/color. In other words, not a primary emotion.

And, yes, I am aware the Lanterns aren’t based on primary colors, but rather the optical spectrum. But that doesn’t roll off the tongue.

It’s a forced explanation, but it works all right. The more important point is that there should be NO EMO LANTERNS.

7. dagocutey says:

Yes, emo lanterns do kind of suck. And some people’s would strobe, not to point any fingers.

Why is sadness a more complex emotion than compassion, though? Also, why not “joy”?

I don’t know; this whole system feels like a ridiculously reductive approach to human consciousness.

Really, all of Geoff Johns’ work on the spectrum lanterns seems…I don’t know. When I was thirteen, I tried to write a sequel to Sweeney Todd, that was about Sweeney Todd’s descendant finding a magic razor and then also turning into a demon barber.

That’s what this feels like to me.

The Green Lantern schema was asymmetric before; why were there powers green? Whatever, they just were. It was interesting. But then Geoff Johns gets to work, and now there’s not just a Green Lantern, but a Red Lantern and a Blue Lantern. And not only that, but each one has a corps, too. So, despite the fact that there’s no reason to think that there’d be lanterns of all the different colors (especially considering that the “visible spectrum” that he describes is unique to human vision), but not only are there, but they’re all the same.

Alan Moore invented Qull of the Five Inversions, and it was neat, because what are the Five Inversions? They’re mysterious and alien, because we don’t have an easy way to interpret what “Five Inversions” could mean. And then Geoff Johns comes along: no, they’re called the “Five Inversions” because there were FIVE guys who wanted to INVERT their civilization (by destroying it). Also, one of them was called Atrocitus! In case you were wondering whether or not he was evil!

Also, in Blackest Night (Brightest Day?) it’s revealed that Earth is where the universe was created, and I don’t know, this whole thing is starting to seem very human-centric to me. I like outer-space stories because I like the idea that the universe is filled with alien things, and I want to see human beings running into things that they don’t understand.

ALSO: Star Sapphire didn’t have to be about love, or part of the emotional spectrum. They could have had “violet” be anything they wanted.

Having actually slogged through Blackest Night, what really bummed me out is all these characters represent their various emotional-states in their personalities (Atrocitus is ANGRY!, Larfleez is greeeeeedy, Star Sapphire is…sensual, I guess?). But it doesn’t really play out in their ring-work.

The Red Lanterns’ ring skills don’t appear all that more angry or violent, for example. Whatever the corresponding emotion, it ends up just being tons of dudes in space flying around each other and shooting colored beams.

Like, shouldn’t the mellow blue lanterns simply Not Fight? They could just wade through the crowd of multi-colored battling aliens, in friendly blue bubbles, saying, “Oh, no, we’re not playing, but you guys go on ahead.”

Dang, I would pay money to write a Blue Lantern book where the guy’s just a hippy who refuses to engage in space fights.

It would sell three copies and be canceled before any of those readers got past page 12.

Jack Knight would wear the ring. (Come on, Robinson, let me use Jack!)

11. dsiohjfges says:

sadness lanterns wouldn’t have to be emo they could go around trying to stop sadness just like the sinestro corps is not full of cowards but people who can instill fear. new idea! sad lanterns go around spreading sadness