Considerations

Posted: February 28, 2011 in Braak
Tags: ,

I have a new project that I am working on, which I may or may not one day unveil to you.  Between that, though, and my new, regular, boring job, it’s likely that my posting will be sporadic for a little while.  I am also considering some things regarding the future of Threat Quality Press, and of blogging, and what the next stage for the site is.

In the meantime, here’s a question that I have:

Could you build a boomerang that had a pair of electric, powered gyroscopes in it, and use the angular momentum of their spinning to create an adjustable weight imbalance that would allow you to “steer” the boomerang after you threw it?

I suppose it’s probably going pretty fast to be able to steer it.  And this might affect the boomerang’s regular rotation, interfering with its lift.  Could you build a larger gyroscope in it — a kind of center of mass that cased the wings to spin around it faster, thus keeping it in the air for longer?

These are all important questions.  Who knows about aerodynamics?

Comments
  1. Erin says:

Batman doesn’t need gyroscopes. Batman just carves metal throwing stars in the shape of bats, but in such a way that he can make them return to him.

He’s able to do this because he spent all those years training in Tibet. They don’t use bat-a-rangs there, but the fundamentals of Buddhism are surprisingly versatile.

He’s the only one who can use the bat-a-rangs effectively, though. Other than Robin. All three Robins, I mean. And Barbara Gordon. Stephanie Brown. Cassandra Cain, Kathy Kane, Betty Kane, Azreal, Hugo Strange, Alfred on a good day, The Joker (but come on: he’s had a lot of time to see them in action), probably Deadshot, certainly Deathstroke if he wanted to (and I assume Deadpool could, too, when he visits his cousin), and Superman, for some reason.

However, even armed with a belt full of bat-a-rangs, Superman still can’t take down Batman in a fight.

2. Erin says:

Also, I forgot The Huntress. Both Huntresses, in fact. And Selina Kyle (but only in the alternate future where she’s married Bruce Wayne).

1) I thought the Huntress had a crossbow.

2) In lieu of studying for twenty years in Tibet, and learning the Buddhist secrets of the batarang:

what about gyroscopes?

4. Erin says:

1. Most of the time, but the original was the daughter of Wayne and Kyle on Earth 2, and the current spent some of No-Man’s Land as Batgirl.

2. Fine. If you’re looking for a radio controlled gyroscopes, they’re readily available at Toys R Us. I own one shaped like the Millennium Falcon, actually. Most of the time, they look like small helicopters.

I know where to get gyroscopes! This is not a retail question IT IS A PHYSICS QUESTION.

6. Erin says:

Yes, I’m aware. Your physics question boils down to “could someone build a remote-control gyroscope?” And the answer to that question is, “Yes.”

I know this because someone DID build them. They sell them at Toys R Us.

That is not

Ugh, nevermind.

8. Erin says:

They are also sold at RadioShack.