Todd Akin and the OTHER Problem With Idiocy

Posted: August 20, 2012 in Braak
Tags: , , ,

So, Todd Akin obviously said something horrible and heinous and stupid, and I’m sure you’ve all heard about it by now. A lot of folks are focusing on the “legitimate rape” part of the statement, and while I think that’s a perfectly valid point to be upset about, it’s not hugely surprising. Obviously, Akin meant “forcible rape”, because it’s been the Misogynist Party Line for…well, forever…that the only rape that counts is the kind that happens in a back alley. Equally important, the woman must scream for help loud enough that she’s overheard. (Deuteronomy 22:23-24)

The thing that actually I am interested in, and that I wish people would ALSO focus on, is the part in his quote:

It seems to me, from what I understand from doctors, that’s really rare. If it’s a legitimate rape, the female body has ways to try to shut that whole thing down.

So…

Who the fuck are these doctors?

I mean, this is a serious question, and I wish that the regular newsmedia would push Todd Akin on this. Because one of two things is true: either he’s lying in order to support his position, and he should have to admit that he’s a liar in public, OR he is willfully protecting doctors who clearly do not understand how the reproductive system works.

That is legitimately dangerous. It’s like if he’d come on TV and said, “Well, from what I understand from doctors, a good way to cure the cold is to swallow thumbtacks.” Uhm. If there are actual doctors saying that, their patients have a right to know that they’re being treated by incompetent idiots. If ACTUAL DOCTORS told Todd Akin this heinous bullshit, the American Medical Association needs to know about it, and it needs to see these fuckers shunned.

I am dead serious when I say this, because as absolute bullshit as the “legitimate rape” part of his statement is, it is literally every single news organization in the country’s job to press Todd Akin for the names of those irresponsible moron doctors. Todd Akin needs to either admit he lied, or he needs to give those doctors up, because they are a clear and immediate threat to their patients.

Soledad O’Brien, you need to get on this.

Comments
  1. x84jdh says:

All signs point to:

Who, I am given to understand, is to doctorin’ what Regents College is to edumacatin’.

Andrew Sullivan posted the other day about Dr. John C. Willke, who, I would guess, is the primary source behind Akin’s understanding of women’s reproductive systems. The part relevant to this discussion is down toward the bottom of the post.

Yeah, his name started to come up after I posted this. I think it’s kind of interesting the way that some guys feel like once you get an MD then you KNOW ALL THE MEDICINE, like science never gets updated, and your theories never get disproved, despite plainly not having actually practiced gynecology since before they discovered the clitoris.

4. John Jackson says:

Bah, there were poems about lovemaking from the 17th century that described how important the clitoris is to giving the woman joy. Of course, it was wrapped up in the school of seduction where it wouldn’t be rape if the woman enjoyed it. So, well, also a bit of a touchy subject, but they knew about it!

(I got this from BBC Radio 4’s ‘Amanda Vickery on Men’ which is pretty great for a weekly half hour history show.)

Man, some day I’m going to have to invent a tag that indicates when I’m trying to use rhetorical exaggeration to make fun of someone for being old.

6. John Jackson says:

I don’t think you needed it. I just thought that it was interesting information and I found a way to wedge it into the conversation. At least, I tried to.